What to do
Respect should be given to the legends associated with sites as well as the anthropological, historical and contemporary sites important to local Aboriginal people. Respect that there are some sacred sites that, by Aboriginal law, you may not be permitted to visit.
- Traditional knowledge is considered intellectual property
- Be aware that not every person you meet on your tour will be able to speak on all cultural matters
- Certain knowledge is the responsibility of tribal elders and may be secret and/or sacred or imparted only on a need to know basis
- Consider what aspects of Aboriginal culture and history are of interest to you and accept if your guide tells you that they cannot speak about a particular matter.
What if you find a site of significance?
If you believe that you have found a site of significance that may not have been recorded, please:
do not disturb it
- record its position so that it can be relocated
- report the details of the site to:
Aboriginal Affairs Victoria
7/589 Collins Street
Phone: +61 3 9616 2923