Fire safety, Victoria, Australia
Show map

Bushfire safety

If you're travelling around Victoria this summer, there are a few things you need to do before you leave and while you are away.

Before you leave

  • Download the FireReady app, bookmark the Emergency Victoria website and save the Victorian Bushfire Information Line number – 1800 240 667 – into your mobile phone
  • Make sure your mobile phone has a fully charged battery
  • Check the Fire Danger Rating for your destination on the Emergency Victoria website as you may not have phone reception across regional Victoria.

While you're away

  • Listen to local radio for warnings and advice while you're on the road. The Emergency Victoria website has a full list of emergency broadcasters 
  • Stay informed by visiting the Emergency Victoria website, checking the FireReady app, calling the Victorian Bushfire Information Line 1800 240 667, following CFA on Twitter or Facebook, talking to locals, visiting an accredited visitor information centre or by listening to an emergency broadcaster
  • Check if a Total Fire Ban has been declared for the area you are visiting. On a Total Fire Ban day, campfires are not allowed. Only gas and electric barbecues are allowed if you follow the regulations. For more information about Total Fire Bans, visit the CFA website 
  • On Severe or Extreme Fire Danger Rating days, it's safer to travel to cities and towns. Never travel into a high-risk bushfire area where a Code Red Fire Danger Rating has been forecast
  • Be aware of grassfires when you’re travelling. Grassfire can move at speeds of up to 25 km/hr and jump highways.

What are Fire Danger Ratings and Total Fire Bans?

Fire Danger Ratings tell you how dangerous a fire would be if it started. A Total Fire Ban sets legal restrictions on activities that may start a fire, including restrictions on barbecues and campfires.

Hiking and camping

Bushfire safety tips for hikers and campers, and park and forest closure information, are available on the Parks Victoria website

Burning off on public land

The Department of Environment, Land, Water and Planning and partner agencies conduct planned burns on public land. This aims to protect communities and infrastructure from the risk of bushfire, and can also benefit local ecology. Controlled burns are mostly in autumn, when the weather and fuel conditions are best for this work. Burns may also take place in spring.

Smoke from planned burns is often noticeable and can cause anxiety. If you are concerned about smoke or fire on public land, please call the Victorian Bushfire Information Line on 1800 240 667 or visit the Department of Environment, Land, Water and Planning website to confirm the locations of planned burns.