Welcome, skip to the content.



Unless you are an Australian or New Zealand citizen, you will need a visa to enter Australia. All other passport holders must apply for a visa before leaving home. You can apply for a range of visas, including tourist visas and working holiday visas, at your nearest Australian Consulate. You can also apply for certain types of visas online.

Tourist visas

A tourist visa is for people visiting Australia for holidays, sightseeing, social or recreational reasons. This includes visiting relatives and friends, or for other short-term non-work purposes. There are a number of tourist visas available for people wishing to visit Australia as a tourist.

There are a number of visa options available to tourists, including the Tourist VisaElectronic Travel Authority (ETA) and eVisitor. These visa options can allow for stays of up to three, six or twelve months.

Visas are available from Australian embassies, high commissions, consulates and online. The ETA and eVisitor can be applied for online. To find the most suitable visa, check eligibility, or find out about visa extensions, visit the Department of Immigration and Border Protection website.

Working Holiday

Working Holiday visas allow travellers to stay in Australia for up to 12 months and take on short-term employment during that time. These visas must be arranged several months prior to travel to Australia.

Visit the Department of Immigration and Border Protection for further details about Working Holiday visas.


Prior to landing in Australia you'll be handed an immigration form to fill out, as well as Customs and Agriculture Declaration forms. Australia has strict quarantine laws – you must declare all goods of animal or plant origin, and you can't bring fresh fruit or vegetables into the country. If you're unsure about any items, it's best to declare them.

If you've been snacking on the flight, discard any leftovers in the arrival area quarantine bins, or on the way to collect your luggage.

For more information, visit the Department of Immigration and Border Protection website.

Work, study & volunteer