The 150 year old Sale Botanic Gardens sits next to the Lake Guthridge precinct and contains beautiful gardens, grassed areas, paved walking areas, a playground (including flying fox), undercover picnic areas, sculptures, a fauna enclosure, sensory garden, elm forest and the Lakeside Entertainment and Arts Facility.
Content: Wellington Regional Tourism
The Sale Botanic Gardens originated in 1860 when approximately 20 hectares of land was set aside as a botanic garden. Twenty four years later, additional swampy land, now Lake Guthridge, was included in the site. Over the ensuing years, the site has endured many incursions and changes, including use as a golf course and appropriation of various sections for sporting activities and the construction of a fauna park.
Today, the botanic gardens measure approximately 5.1 hectares, with the adjoining Lake Guthridge and Lake Guyatt occupying an additional 27 hectares. The Gardens owe their botanic heritage to Baron Ferdinand Von Mueller, the first state botanist, and Mr William Guilfoyle, the then director of the Royal Melbourne Botanic Gardens.
As well as an abundance of bird life visiting the parklands nearby, there is a comtemporary fauna enclosure containing Red-Necked Wallabies, Pademelons and Parma Wallabies set into a landscaped natural environment with excellent viewing opportunities.