Welcome, skip to the content.
Creswick Museum is an accredited museum and is housed in the former Municipal Offices of the Shire of Creswick, the Town Hall complex. The Research Centre is housed in the old Infant Welfare Centre. The Museum in 2014 was awarded Volunteer Museum of the year for it's Spirit of China in Creswick Exhibition. The Town Hall was built in 1876, a magnificent two storey National Trust classified building, with a tower and clock. The interior of the building is notable for the magnificent classic winding staircase of local Basalt. From the balcony on the second floor you can look down onto the Exhibition Gallery.The nucleus of the collection was provided by the late E.J. Semmens and have been fortunate to receive several bequests. The collection has been expanded with works of the artistic Lindsay family, especially by Lionel and Daryl. The Lindsays spent their childhood in Creswick. Paintings by Moyle and Tibbitts illustrate Creswick during the goldrush era. Victor Litherland bequeathed to the people of Creswick the paintings in his studio. Paintings by Bernaldo and Longstaff are also featured.Creswick was the place where the New Australasian Gold Mining Disaster happened in 1882 with the loss of 22 miners. Of the 27 miners who were trapped in the mine on the 12th December 1882 only five came out alive. The Museum has a display telling the story. Also on display artefacts from the mining era, including the lunch pail on which one of the deceased miners wrote his farewell message. Notable other people in the region were John Curtin, Captain Hepburn, Sir Alexander Peacock and William Spence.The Research Centre is a Place of Deposit, Public Records Office. Amongst the collection is Creswick Advertisers 1859 to 1974 and maps of the district.
The Research Centre is located at the corner of Raglan and Cambridge Street in Creswick.
Tours of ten or more can be arranged. Please contact for more information.
Disable access is available to the museum via the side passage and through the Lindsay Room. Access is only on the ground floor but the major exhibition is in the Bank Chamber.Contact Museum staff to gain access through the passageway.