Buchan Caves Reserve
Address: Caves Rd, Buchan, Victoria 3885
Phone: 03 5162 1910 | Freecall: 131 963
Near the township of Buchan, lies a honeycomb of caves full of spectacular limestone formations.
The caves were formed by underground rivers cutting through limestone rock. The formations are created by rain water seeping through cracks and dissolving some of the limestone. As each droplet comes through the roof it deposits calcite which crystallises in a small ring. In time, stalactites are formed on the roof of the cave, and stalagmites build up from droplets which fall to the floor.
Discover the beautiful calcite-rimmed pools of Royal Cave and the elaborate stalactites and stalagmites of Fairy Cave on a guided tour. Tours are conducted daily.
Buchan Caves is eco-certified and committed to sustainable practices and provides high quality nature-based tourism experiences.
Aboriginal Traditional Owners
Parks Victoria acknowledges the Aboriginal Traditional Owners of Victoria - including its parks and reserves. Through their cultural traditions, the Gunaikurnai identify the Buchan Caves Reserve as their Traditional Country. Further information is available from Aboriginal Affairs Victoria AAV and Native Title Services Victoria.
Before you go
Conditions can change in parks for many reasons. For the latest information on changes to local conditions, please visit the relevant park page on the Parks Victoria website.
Be bushfire ready in the great outdoors. Refer to the Bushfire Safety section on the Parks Victoria website for tips on how to stay safe.
Content: Parks Victoria
Buchan Caves and Caves Reserve are 360 km from Melbourne, north of Lakes Entrance (Melway ref: 529 D3). From Bairnsdale, drive to Bruthen and take the Buchan Road.
Additional business information
More than 60 species of birds have been sighted in the reserve.
The caves were reserved in 1887, though largely by accident - they were on land set aside for stock camping. The government commissioned an exploration soon afterwards, and reserved a larger area because the caves were being vandalised. In 1907 Frank Moon discovered the Fairy Cave which was opened to the public later that year. Royal Cave was discovered in 1910 and, after an entrance tunnel was dug, opened in 1913. The Caves Reserve was set out and planted mostly in the late 1930s.
Hundreds of deciduous trees have been planted in the Caves Reserve.
Activities and attractions