Welcome, skip to the content.
Official site for Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Address: Breakwater Road, Breakwater, Victoria 3219
Phone: 03 5229 4414 | Fax: 03 5222 1526
Email: email@example.comWeb: grc.com.au
Geelong Racing Club is home to many popular races that attract keen punters all over Australia. Visit the website today for club information and race details. Geelong Racing Club staged its inaugural race meeting on 1st May 1841, at Corio. There were three races, the first was a two horse event won by Juliet ridden by owner T. Wright. On 4th February 1843, another meeting was conducted about three miles West of Geelong near the then newly erected Fyansford Inn. In an attempt to conduct annual meetings the Geelong Racing Committee conducted a trial meeting on land known as "Airey's Flat" on the 5th October situated three miles from Geelong, beside the Moorabool River (nearly opposite where the Australian Portland Cement Works is today). The first official annual Geelong race meeting was conducted on the 29th February and 1st March 1844 after restructuring the course that was one and a half miles and 300 yards. Apart from Fyansford, many other meetings were held in the early days. These include North Shore, Belmont, Lara, Birregurra, Inverleigh, Leigh Road, Winchelsea, Moriac, Meredith, Queenscliff, Portarlington, Drysdale and Torquay. The Portarlington course can still be seen today and the Belmont meetings were held on the present site of the rifle range in Breakwater Road.
Content: Geelong Racing Club
Lift and disabled toilet access.
Select all |