Melway Map 133, ref K10. Drive from Melbourne along the Monash Freeway, M1 to the South Gippsland Highway, M420. Signs to the Royal Botanic Gardens Cranbourne will direct you to Ballarto Road.
Additional business information
Eucalypt Festival, 8 - 9 April 2012
Australia’s iconic plant – the Eucalypt – will take centre stage at the Australian Garden, Royal Botanic Gardens Cranbourne, on Easter Sunday and Easter Monday.
The Eucalypt Festival has something for all the family to do over the two days, from kids’ activities to walks, talks and workshops. Easter Sunday is themed as Family Day and Easter Monday as Gardeners’ Day.
The focus of the Eucalypt Festival on Easter Sunday is on families and what better way to celebrate than the free Easter Bandicoot Hunt. The kids will love the art and craft activities, live music, face painting, roving performers, and Bug Blitz workshops.
On Easter Monday the focus is on gardeners with a range of guided walks, Eucalypt-themed tours, and hands-on gardening workshops on offer, as well as more live music and roving performers.
Plus, enjoy a sneak preview of Stage 2 of the Australian Garden, which is due to open in late 2012. Get a closer look at some of the completed areas, find out more about the final areas under construction, and gain a rare insight into what the second and final stage of this modern botanic garden will look like.
And with entry fees no longer applicable for the Australian Garden, the Eucalypt Festival is a fun and wallet-friendly day out for the whole family!
Some of the highlights of the Eucalypt Festival include:
- 'The Eucalypts' art display, which includes beautiful artworks by illustrator Sandra Sanger from the Friends of the Royal Botanic Gardens Cranbourne Botanic Illustrators group, will be open from 9am - 5pm on both days. FREE
- Get into the Easter spirit with the Easter Bandicoot Hunt for chocolate bandicoots in the Woodland Picnic Area. Sunday 8 April, 9.30 - 10.30am. FREE
- Easter Bandicoot Bush Ball featuring Shenanigans band and bush dancing. Both days, 12 - 2pm. FREE
- Stroll through the Eucalypt Walk on a guided tour with renowned Eucalypt expert Leon Costermans. Monday 9 April, 11am - 12 noon. $19.20 adult, $16.70 concession. Bookings are required.
- Didgeridoo performance and workshops - discover how a didgeridoo is made and have a go at playing one! Both days, 12 - 2pm. FREE
- Australian Wildlife Display featuring animals from our eastern Eucalypt forests and highlighting the diversity of our forests. Both days, 10am - 4pm. FREE
... and much more!
Check out the website - www.rbg.vic.gov.au - for the full program of events.
Please note: bookings are required for the Guided Tour with Leon Costermans and Mini-beasts program. Call the Visitor Centre on (03) 5990 2245 for bookings and further details.