Food & wine
Melbourne is Australia's culinary capital and has the numbers to prove it. Get the facts behind Victoria's love of all things food.
- Melbourne has more than 3,500 restaurants and serves up cuisines from more than 70 countries.
- Melbourne Food and Wine Festival is the largest of its kind in the world. The festival hosts more than 200 events and attracts around 300,000 people each year.
- Victoria is home to 21 different wine regions, more than 800 wineries, 600 cellar doors and some 30 craft breweries.
- On average, Melbourne imports 30 tonnes of coffee beans each day – enough to make 3 million daily cuppas.
- The volume of Melbourne's coffee-bean imports has increased by around 780% in the past decade.
- An estimated 2000 farmers sell their produce each month at genuine farmers markets across Victoria.