With a working holiday visa you can stay in Australia for up to 12 months and take on short-term employment (up to six months with any one employer).

You must arrange your visas several months prior to coming to Australia.

Who can apply?

If you are aged 18-30 (or up to 35 for some countries), haven't previously entered Australia on a working holiday visa, don't have children, and meet other requirements, you may be eligible to live and work in Australia on a working holiday visa.

Visa options

Working Holiday visa (Subclass 417)
For citizens of Belgium, Canada, Republic of Cyprus, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Hong Kong, Republic of Ireland, Italy, Japan, Republic of Korea, Malta, Netherlands, Norway, Sweden, Taiwan and the United Kingdom.

Work and Holiday visa (Subclass 462)
For citizens of Argentina, Austria, Brazil, Chile, China, Czech Republic, Ecuador, Greece, Hungary, Indonesia, Israel, Luxembourg, Malaysia, Mongolia, Peru, Poland, Portugal, San Marino, Singapore, Slovak Republic, Slovenia, Spain, Switzerland, Thailand, Turkey, Uruguay, United States of America and Vietnam. 

Check the Department of Home Affairs website immi.homeaffairs.gov.au for visa details.

Extend your stay with "specified work"

If you hold a Working Holiday visa (Subclass 417) and undertake "specified work" in regional Victoria for at least three months, you may be eligible for a second 12-month visa.

Types of "specified work" which may be covered by this visa extension:

  • tourism and hospitality in northern, remote or very remote Australia
  • plant and animal cultivation (e.g. harvesting and/or packing fruit)
  • fishing and pearling
  • tree farming and felling
  • mining
  • construction
  • bushfire recovery work in declared bushfire affected areas
  • flood recovery work in declared flood recovery areas

Check the Department of Home Affairs website immi.homeaffairs.gov.au for more about specified work.

Volunteer work

Volunteering may qualify you for the additional year extension of the working holiday visa, if the volunteer work falls under a "specified work" category. Find out more about volunteering in Victoria.

Unable to get data