An accredited museum housed in the Town Hall complex, the Creswick Museum and Research Centre is in the old Infant Welfare Centre. The Research Centre is open Friday and Saturday 11:00am to 3:00pm.
The Town Hall was built in 1876, a magnificent two storey National Trust classified building. The interior of the building is notable for the magnificent classic winding staircase of local Basalt and ironwork.
The museum’s collection comprises of:
Paintings, prints, and artifacts of the famous Lindsay family who were born in Creswick.
Colonial art works of Burkitt, Moyle and Tibbits depicting life of early Creswick and district.
Collection of naïve artist Victor Litherland’s paintings and Springmount Pottery.
Gold mining history of Creswick and district.
The former Council Chamber is retained near to when it was last used for Council meetings.
A collection of photographs from the district.
Creswick was the location of the New Australasian Gold Mining Disaster (1882) with the loss of 22 miners. Notable people from the region were John Curtin, Captain Hepburn, Alexander Peacock and William Spence.
The Research Centre is a Place of Deposit, Public Records Office. Amongst the collection is Creswick Advertisers 1859 to 1974 and maps of the district.
Tours during the week can be arranged for $3.00. Two days notice required.
|$4.00 - $5.00|
- Saturday: 11:00am - 3:30pm
- Sunday: 11:00am - 3:30pm
30 Mar 2018
Map pins are available via the tab key in a list after the map.
You can pan the map with the keyboard arrows.