The Gippsland Regional Maritime Museum Port Albert is located in Gippsland's first port, Port Albert, discovered in 1841 by the survivors of the wreck of the steamer Clonmel on the Ninety Mile Beach. Explorer Angus McMillan arrived at almost the same time.
The Museum has an extensive collection of historic artefacts, photos and documents housed in the heritage listed Bank of Victoria built in 1861 to store gold from the Gippsland Gold Rush.
The Museum houses an extensive library and archive which is available for research and there is a comprehensive education kit of student activities.
The landscaped grounds contain the fishing boat 'Morning Star', 'Suzy' and the Cliffy Island workboat. There is a Trotman's anchor from the steam tug and trawler 'Wybia', two large sailing ship anchors, the restored Citadel Light, channel markers and beacons and an offshore oil/gas drill bit. There is a large timber deck where groups can sit and have tea and coffee.
The museum is open 10:00am to 4:00pm daily from September to May. Weekends and school holidays June to August.
Adults $6. Seniors and Concession Card holders $5.
Family (two adults and two children) $10
Map pins are available via the tab key in a list after the map.
You can pan the map with the keyboard arrows.