Follow the Federation University 150th Anniversary Trail through the Gallery to see a selection of work by some of the artists associated with the Arts Academy from the Gallery collection.
The story of Federation University Australia goes back to the establishment of the School of Mines and Industries Ballarat in 1870. In 1907 the School’s art department was enhanced by amalgamation with the Art Gallery’s art school and the art school in Ballarat East to form the Ballarat Technical Art School.
Since then, the art school has continued to grow as the institution evolved into today’s Federation University, to become one of the state’s visual arts education institution, offering both vocational and expressive art subjects, as well as equipping generations of art teachers.
Over the years, the Arts Academy has enjoyed a close relationship with the Art Gallery as two leading visual art institutions within the city. The Gallery holds in its collection works by artists who have worked as teachers at the school and who have trained there.
Map pins are available via the tab key in a list after the map.
You can pan the map with the keyboard arrows.