The weir and lock were completed in 1929. The purpose of the weir is both to maintain a high level of water for irrigation in times of little and to regulate water flow. The lock enables boats to pass from the upper stream to the downstream level of the Murray River and vice versa.
To allow the migration of fish species upstream past the weir at anytime, special 'fishways' have been built at the abutments of Lock 10. A series of interconnected pools allow the fish to move from pool to pool as part of their upstream travel. This is an important step in the long term recovery of the River Murray ecology.
For visitors to the weir and lock area, numerous picnic tables are available for a pleasant lunch by the water with barbecues across the road for those preferring to cook their own.
Map pins are available via the tab key in a list after the map.
You can pan the map with the keyboard arrows.