• Tour operator

Walhalla Long Tunnel Extended Gold Mine

165 Main Road, Walhalla, Victoria, 3825

The mine is located in the north end of this Famous Victorian, living historic Gold mining town of Walhalla.

This Gold Mine commenced operation in 1865 by the original Hercules Gold Mining Company, working their way to Cohen's reef. When the company did not find enough payable gold, the mine was sold to The Long Tunnel Extended Gold Mining Company No Liability in 1871.

Over the Walhalla Long Tunnel Extended Gold Mine's 50 year history, it produced 440,312 troy ounces of gold or 13,695 kilograms. Being the top producing gold mine for six of those years. During that time the population was over 4,800 people.

There are now less than 25 permanent residents living in Walhalla.

Tours operate total fire ban days, but not declared code red fire alert days.

The Long Tunnel Extended Gold Mine tour goes for approx. 45-50 minutes, it is wheelchair and stroller friendly, with a free museum and blacksmiths shed. There is a small gift shop and toilets are available.
Visitors are required to wear suitable footwear when going underground.

Tours are everday at 1:30pm. On school holidays, tours run at 12:00pm, 1:30pm and 3:00pm. Please arrive 15 minutes before the tour starts.

Content: Walhalla Board of Management
Facilities:
  • Car park
165 Main Road, Walhalla, Victoria, 3825

Map pins are available via the tab key in a list after the map.

You can pan the map with the keyboard arrows.

  • -37.9390892 146.4495805