Family fun - take the kids for a memorable day out. Watch the world go by from your family compartment as the steam train puffs up the hills.
First Class - for a touch of class step back in time to an era of
Catch the train for a return trip from Castlemaine or Maldon stations. Castlemaine is 90 minutes from Melbourne by car on the Calder Freeway. For a wonderful day out, leave the car behind and use your Myki to catch the V/Line train from Melbourne to Castlemaine where you simply change platforms to catch the steam train.
After a leisurely 45 minute train ride you have two hours in historic Maldon to enjoy lunch at a pub or cafe and then relax on the train (maybe enjoying a drink from the bar in first class) back to Castlemaine.
Trains run Sundays, Wednesdays and school holiday Saturdays. Visit the website for more information.
Content: Victorian Goldfields Railway
Prebook online via website or purchase tickets at stations on running days Seniors and Concessions available. Companion card holders travel complimentary. Excursion class only family tickets available. First Class are not appropriate for children. Limited access to first class carriages for those with accessibility issues.
Savings on family tickets
- Actively welcomes people with access needs
- Suitable for guests who have challenges with learning, communication, understanding and behaviour
- Suitable for guests with sufficient mobility to climb two or three steps, but would benefit from fixtures and fittings to aid balance
- Suitable for guests who depend on the use of a wheelchair in a seated position at all times
- Regional Tourist/Tourism Association/Organisation
Map pins are available via the tab key in a list after the map.
You can pan the map with the keyboard arrows.