Snow season 2020 closures
Ski fields and alpine resorts have closed to visitors during Stage 3 Stay at Home coronavirus restrictions across regional Victoria. Restrictions remain in place until 13 September 2020. You can stay in touch with the latest advice on Victoria’s travel restrictions and how they affect the ski slopes this season through the DHHS website.
Be enveloped in falling snow and the scent of eucalyptus with a visit to Dinner Plain. Just 10 kilometres from Mt Hotham, this enchanting alpine village is nestled between the snow gums and surrounded by Alpine National Park on the highest freehold land in Australia.
The good life
Get your ski gear sorted, take a ski lesson, then get comfortable on Dinner Plain's gentle beginner slope before graduating to the high-octane courses at neighbouring Mt Hotham. Cruise Dinner Plain village and its extensive trail network, and then take advantage of the sensational cross-country skiing and horse riding opportunities within.
Sink into a Japanese version of heaven at Onsen − Australia's first indoor/outdoor alpine retreat and spa before hitting the village for top-notch nosh from a selection of restaurants, hotels and cafes.
Choose from a range of accommodation options including lux, self-contained spa apartments, chalets and resorts. Admire the rustic charm of Dinner Plain's private chalets, with stone, timber and corrugated iron reflecting the town's cattlemen heritage. Enjoy all the mod cons, open fireplaces, spas and BBQ facilities at many of the properties.
Dog sled carnival
Time your visit to coincide with the thrilling Dinner Plain Dog Sled Challenge. Watch in awe as these powerful dog teams from around Australia race for top prize. 2018 marks the 25th anniversary of this exciting winter carnival.
Not around for the carnival? Book in for a sled dog tour and explore the slopes of Dinner Plain with a band of huskies.
- Approximately 5 hours by car from Melbourne, and 8.5 hours from Sydney.
- Hotham Airport at Horsehair Plain is the highest commercial airport in Australia. A number of charter operators fly in year-round.
- Christians Bus Services offer luxury 4WD service and coach travel between Mt Hotham and Dinner Plain.
- Snowball Express offers daily services between Melbourne and Mt Hotham during the winter season.
- Take the V/Line from Melbourne to Seymour, then a coach to Bright. From Bright, take the Omeo-Bright Alpine Bus link.
Unable to get data